Thursday, November 11, 2010

Don't do that... Don't do it!... Ok the monster will eat you!

I have always been a firm believer in there isn't just one correct way... in most cases anyway, but with every rule there are always exceptions! But back to the point... Ever since I was in middle school I knew that most teacher only taught one way... But not everyone in the classroom got it that way. Which always made me think? Shouldn't the teacher be doing more? So, what if it is unorthodox methods? After all, "If children cannot learn the way we teach them, then we must teach them the way they can learn."

That just happens to be one of my all time favorite quotes, and I am a huge fan of quotes! I truly believe that if what you are doing is not working, then it isn't the child... Its you and your methods. Another favorite quote of mine "If you tell a child 1000 times they cannot do something and they still do it, then it isn't the child that is slow!" Which is true! Think about it, if you are telling your child repeatedly not to do something and they keep doing it... They are smart enough to know you are just going to tell them not to do it again but they can, so they will keep doing it! It is all about learning what works and what doesn't for your child (or children). Just see below! :)

A mom keeps telling her daughter not to throw the ball in the house.


Does it work? No!


The mom tells her daughter for the 10th time not to throw the ball... Think it will actually work this time?


Heck no! After telling her 9 other times, did the mom really think it would work? If so, then who is the one not learning?


But something does happen... Finally! A light-blub turns on and the mom realized her ways are not working so she changes things up a bit!


Granted now her daughter is going to be scared to death to go to bed tonight, she didn't throw the ball anymore! :)


Side note: I in no way support scaring your children to death with the use of monster threats! :) However, it just might work! And no, I will not confirm nor deny that I have ever done this! (actually I haven't, but hmmm, its a thought!). This was all in fun, and my super lame way of trying to get you to to smile (yes, I know my little cartoon drawings are lame! but they are copywrite by me none the less) and get my point across all at the same time.

Okay, back to the point though... I really do think that children want to be taught, they want to be encouraged, they want to be pushed to do the right thing... Even if they do not act that way, when they get older they will fully love you for your efforts. I for one didn't have anyone to push me or encourage me growing up... I never had to bring good grades home, nor did I have anyone asking me if I had homework. Now, I am older and wiser, I can honestly say I wish I had that growing up! My children will be pushed! Even if they hate me for it now, they will know later on I love them and only wanted the best for them.

Another side note: No, I am not a crazy who overly pushes their children past their limits... I only push them to be the best they can be, and fully encourage their dreams. Winning is not important, it is the learning that happens during the process of whatever they are doing.

Again I got sidetracked from my point... The point is, if you child is not learning with the way they are being taught, keep trying new things! One of those new things might just be the key to a whole new world for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment