Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkey # 1 is marinating! *recipe*

I officially have one of our turkeys marinating for tomorrow.... I hope it turns out well, as this is the first Cajun turkey have had made over the years.

It should be a spicing turkey too, which if all goes accordingly, most of the people coming over for our Thanksgiving dinner will enjoy, because they are all about hot/spicy foods (even Willow!).

Here is what I used to make my marinate (I came up with this on my own... even though I do not eat spicy foods, so I have no idea how it will turn out!).


Lissa's Lou Cajun Turkey Marinate:
* 2 cups butter
* 1/4 cup of onions
* 1/4 cup of garlic powder
* 1/4 cup of hot sauce (pick your favorite)
* 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
* 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers
* 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
* 1 can of beer


I melted the butter in a skillet and then added the onions and fried until they were tender... Then I mixed in the garlic powder, black pepper, crushed red peppers, and cayenne pepper.... Then mixed it up well... Removed the skillet from the heat, and added the can of beer, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce and mixed it up well.

Then I put my turkey (this one was 14.5 lbs) into a large oven bag and added the mixture to the bag and put the bag into a canning kettle and stuck it in the fridge where it will sit overnight (for nearly 24 hours).

Tomorrow morning (before the sun is up!) I will take the turkey out and rub it down with a mixture I came up with and stick it in the oven...

Lissa Lou's Cajun Turkey rubdown:
* 4 teaspoons of salt
* 4 teaspoons of onion powder
* 2 teaspoons of black pepper
* 1 teaspoon of crushed red peppers
* 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper


Then about an hour and a half into cooking it I will inject it with another Cajun liquid mixture, and let it finish up cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment